Country Security Manager
Application deadline: 18.11.2020
Employer: Norwegian Refugee Council
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) :
is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee.
We work in crises across more than 30 countries, providing emergencies and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. We stand up for people forced to flee, advocating their rights.
NORCAP is a global provider of expertise that contributes to solving challenges in the humanitarian, development and peacebuilding sectors. Our ultimate goal is to strengthen the resilience, and protect the lives, rights and livelihoods of vulnerable people and communities
NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
Duties and responsibilities
- Development and implementation of the NRC Global Heath Safety and Security Management System at national level.
- Promote and stimulate HSS risk management culture within NRC country programme.
- Oversee and support national risk management to staff, assets, operations and reputation of NRC.
- Provide the Country Management Group with strategic advice based on changes to the context.
- Oversee and/or conduct Security Risk Analysis (SRA) and status reviews according to minimum operational requirements (MOSS).
- Management of HSS staff at country office level; and support, training and development of all HSS staff.
- Network, communicate and cooperate with relevant external HSS actors.
- Act as an adviser to the Crisis Management Team (CMT) leader and taking lead as and when delegated.
- Access monitoring, analysis, reporting, action planning, and coordination.
- Develop and deliver an HSS action plan to ensure NRC standards for HSS management and staff Duty of Care are met and maintained.
- Ensuring regular and high-quality HSS information communications, briefings, and mission planning with staff to facilitate field movements and other programme/business operations.
- Design, coordination, and delivery of a high-quality HSS training programme for all staff – especially for frontline Sudanese staff
- A full Job Description is attached below
- Minimum five years of experience from working as a Security Manager, Adviser or Analyst in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Experience with humanitarian access analysis, civil-military coordination
- Experience with staff training, development, coaching, and mentoring
- Knowledge of the context in Sudan (desirable)
- Experience with start-up missions/operations (desirable)
- Experience of contexts with mine/ERW risks, venomous creatures, and other risks that potentially require remote medical care (desirable)
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Knowledge of the local language, Arabic or other (desirable)
- Handling insecure environments
- Initiating action and change
- Empowering and building trust
We can offer
- Job Description
- Duty Station TBC: This position will be based on one of NRC’s Area Offices in South Kordofan or Darfur; however, the position has country-wide responsibilities.
- Travel: approximately 40%
- Expected Start Date: 1 February 2021
- Grade: Grade 9 in NRC’s structure
- Contract Period: 18 months
- Salary/Benefits: NRC offers a competitive compensation and benefits package
- An approved health clearance will be required before commencement of the contract
- NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and employees to check they have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.